Food Security and Livelihood Field Officer
For over 90 years, Save the Children has been making a difference in children's lives in more than 120 countries. We are the world's largest independent child rights organisation, underpinned by a vision of a world in which every child attains the right to survival, protection, development and participation. We are an equal opportunity organisation dedicated to our core values of Accountability, Ambition, Collaboration, Creativity and Integrity. Our culture is embedded in these values, along with a strong commitment to our Child Safeguarding Protocol, ensuring that all representatives of Save the Children demonstrate the highest standards of behaviour towards children both in their private and professional lives.
In Uganda, we implement programmes in five thematic programme areas of Child Protection, Child Rights Governance, Education, Child Poverty, Health and Nutrition in Development and Emergency contexts. Save the Children delivers programs in over 36 districts in the North, Rwenzori, North-Eastern, West Nile and Central regions of Uganda. We save children's lives. We fight for their rights. We help them fulfil their potential.
The Officer provides ongoing, implementation, monitoring & evaluation and reporting in regard to the execution of the economic stabilisation and longer term self-reliance of refugees and hosting communities in Palorinya, Imvepi and Bidi bidi refugee settlement in Moyo, Arua and Yumbe districts respectively. The activities ensure children (and their care givers) in the refugee settlements create emergency livelihoods through cash for work activities for 30 days (i.e. 37,500 work days) to 1,250 refugees and hosting communities; and livelihood recovery options through microbusiness development to 1000 among them.
Contract Duration: 1 Year
Contractual Status: National
Location: Yumbe, Moyo & Arua
Qualification and Experience;
- Degree level qualification in agriculture, economics, entrepreneurship and other related fields.
- At least 3 years' experience in humanitarian livelihood programmes;
- Experience of working with small business development and market based programming
- Experience in delivering training to communities and staff; cash based programming, implementing livelihood projects e.g. public works/ cash for work projects; agricultural support; home based skills development or income generation projects
- Strong understanding of employment, small and micro enterprise, education and vocational skills training in a rural setting; and experience in career counselling in livelihoods related enterprise;
- Specialized knowledge in environment and risk management
- Knowledge of West Nile, Uganda, and the displacement (refugee) context preferred
- An understanding of the role of INGOs and current development debates, particularly participatory approaches, organizational development and capacity building with/for both state and non-state partner