Program Officer-Education/Child Protection
For over 90 years, Save the Children has been making a difference in children's lives in more than 120 countries. We are the world's largest independent child rights organisation, underpinned by a vision of a world in which every child attains the right to survival, protection, development and participation. We are an equal opportunity organisation dedicated to our core values of Accountability, Ambition, Collaboration, Creativity and Integrity. Our culture is embedded in these values, along with a strong commitment to our Child Safeguarding Protocol, ensuring that all representatives of Save the Children demonstrate the highest standards of behaviour towards children both in their private and professional lives.
In Uganda, we implement programmes in five thematic programme areas of Child Protection, Child Rights Governance, Education, Child Poverty, Health and Nutrition in Development and Emergency contexts. Save the Children delivers programs in over 36 districts in the North, Rwenzori, North-Eastern, West Nile and Central regions of Uganda. We save children's lives. We fight for their rights. We help them fulfil their potential.
The job holder is responsible for providing ongoing, implementation, monitoring & evaluation and reporting in regard to the execution of the Emergency child protection activities- ensure those children (and their care givers) refugee settlement regain access to safe living environments and are protected from harmful abuse to rebuild their livelihoods that contributes to their recovery and development. He/she is responsible for ensuring that all relevant Save the Children policies and procedures with respect to child safeguarding, safety and security, code of conduct, equal opportunities and other relevant policies are adhered to during program implementation.In the event of a major humanitarian emergency, the role holder will be expected to work outside the normal role profile and be able to vary working hours accordingly.
Contract Duration: 1 Year
Contractual Status: National
Location: Multiple Locations
Qualification and Experience;
- Minimum of a Bachelors' Degree in Social Sciences, Bachelor of Arts/Sciences, Education, Development Studies, Psychology, Child Development, Child Psychology, Community Psychology, any equivalent accrued working experience in a related position.
- At least 2 years' experience in programme development and implementation with an NGO. Relevant experience implementing, supervising, monitoring and evaluating community based child protection projects with NGOs particularly those addressing children's rights.
- Ability to interact with communities; children and adults as well as other stakeholders at sub-county and district levels and mobilizing them to participate in community development activities
- Strong planning/anticipation skills.
- Sound judgement and an ability to effectively prioritise multiple tasks in a constantly changing environment
- Excellent interpersonal skills, with the ability to influence others.
- The ability to liaise and communicate effectively with a broad range of people at all levels, across different cultures and to act with credibility, discretion, tact and diplomacy.