Program Officer Livelihoods
For over 90 years, Save the Children has been making a difference in children's lives in more than 120 countries. We are the world's largest independent child rights organisation, underpinned by a vision of a world in which every child attains the right to survival, protection, development and participation. We are an equal opportunity organisation dedicated to our core values of Accountability, Ambition, Collaboration, Creativity and Integrity. Our culture is embedded in these values, along with a strong commitment to our Child Safeguarding Protocol, ensuring that all representatives of Save the Children demonstrate the highest standards of behaviour towards children both in their private and professional lives.
In Uganda, we implement programmes in five thematic programme areas of Child Protection, Child Rights Governance, Education, Child Poverty, Health and Nutrition in Development and Emergency contexts. Save the Children delivers programs in over 36 districts in the North, Rwenzori, North-Eastern, West Nile and Central regions of Uganda. We save children's lives. We fight for their rights. We help them fulfil their potential.
The Program Officer-Livelihoods will play a central role in strengthening young farmers groups' knowledge, skills and practices in agribusiness in 6 underserved sub-counties in Amuru, Nwoya and Gulu districts.. S/he will be responsible for linking youth to actors in agricultural value chains: inputs, production, processing, marketing and transportation of agricultural products. S/he will liaise with District Production Offices and Local Partners to offer both agronomic extension services and market opportunities for young farmers. S/he will also be involved to support formation and development of Village Savings and Loan Associations (VSLAs) for youth groups and promote linkages with microcredit institutions for more comprehensive Business Development Services (BDS), including support to access business and agro value chain loan services. S/he will build capacity of resource persons -Community Based Trainers (CBTs) to train and offer technical assistance to the VSLA groups on VSLA methodology, savings and loan management and coaching and mentoring. S/he will support youth led market assessment to identify opportunities, develop business plans and support the implementation of the youth business plans.
Contract Duration: 1 Year& 10 Months
Contractual Status: National
Qualification and Experience;
- A minimum of a Degree in Agriculture or a relevant discipline. Graduate or post-graduate training in project planning & management, monitoring and evaluation, community development & research or related field is an added advantage
- A minimum of 3 years relevant working experience with at least 1 year at middle management level in an NGO. Experience working with agricultural and livelihoods programs especially in Value Chain Development and Rural Financial Methodologies including VSL Associations and strong documentation, advocacy, facilitation and presentation skills
- Experience of working with local partners and District Local Government in Health, Education, HIV/AIDS or Child Protection program delivery AND Computer literacy and excellent documentation skills are a must & ability to speak local language (Luo) and directly interact with target group will be an added advantag
- Ability to intervene with crisis management or troubleshooting as necessary.
- Highly developed interpersonal and communication skills including influencing, negotiation and coaching