Program Officer- Vocational Education -National Contract
Program Officer- Vocational Education (Youth Empowerment Bulgari (YEB)
For over 90 years, Save the Children has been making a difference in children's lives in more than 120 countries. We are the world's largest independent child rights organisation, underpinned by a vision of a world in which every child attains the right to survival, protection, development and participation. We are an equal opportunity organisation dedicated to our core values of Accountability, Ambition, Collaboration, Creativity and Integrity. Our culture is embedded in these values, along with a strong commitment to our Child Safeguarding Protocol, ensuring that all representatives of Save the Children demonstrate the highest standards of behaviour towards children both in their private and professional lives.
The Program Officer will take the lead in the implementation of the non-formal vocational education component of the YEB Project in Northern Region and will be responsible for achieving program goals and objectives and for reporting on program implementation and outcomes. The Officer will identify, facilitate and coordinate Vocational trainings and Internship/Apprenticeship placements for young people aged 15 to 20 years in 6 underserved sub-counties in Amuru, Nwoya and Gulu districts. S/he will identify relevant public/private actors and convene a stakeholder forum to identify internship opportunities and create linkages for employment and exposure to the realities of employment for vocational trainees. S/he will monitor the youth/employers during their internship to ensure relevance, quality, address dropout issues and child safeguarding considerations. S/he will ensure the non-formal vocational training is flexible and adaptable to the unique needs of youth with extra family responsibilities. S/he will liaise with Directorate of Industrial Training (DIT), Uganda Private Vocational Institutes (UGAPRIVI) and government district line departments to carry out routine monitoring, quality assurance and certification of Vocational Trainees.
Contract Duration: Open
Contractual Status: National
Qualification and Experience;
- A minimum of a Degree in Agriculture or a relevant discipline
- A minimum of 3 years relevant working experience with at least 1 year at middle management level in an NGO. Experience working with agricultural and livelihoods programs especially in Value Chain Development and Rural Financial Methodologies including Village Savings and Loan Associations
- Ability to speak local language (Luo) and directly interact with target group will be an added advantage
- Ability to establish and maintain conducive collegial relations and perform effectively as a member of a team.
- Highly developed interpersonal and communication skills including influencing, negotiation and coaching